“Lietuvos geležinkeliai“ (LTG) is the leading railway company in the Baltic states, developing its operating activities in three areas: freight and passenger carriage by rail, public railway infrastructure control, management, supervision, and development. LTG Group is one of the most significant employers in the country: about 10 thousand employees work for its companies.
Senior Data Engineer at Lithuanian Railways (LTG)
Joe Celko (relational database guru) said: „Where is the information? Lost in the data. Where is the data? Lost in the database!”. Here, in LTG, we are in pursuit of the highest data management maturity, and we are looking for colleagues who would want to make this vision a reality.
"Lithuanian Railways" is one of the largest groups of companies in Lithuania, administering the country's railway network. It connects people and businesses by transporting passengers and goods, managing and constantly updating rail infrastructure, engineering and IT systems. Since the declaration of independence, we have not stopped growing and progressing together with Lithuania.
From data engineering perspective, LTG has developed an on-prem MS SQL Enterprise Data Warehouse that stores data from over 25 data sources. We now have an extra challenge to adopt cloud data platform services for our data engineering needs.
We are looking for an experienced Senior Data Engineer to join our data platform engineering team. As LTG is gradually moving to multi-cloud solutions, you will have the opportunity to learn new technologies and use various methods to transform raw data into useful data systems. You will build datasets and data models for Business. Overall, you’ll strive for efficiency by aligning data solutions with business goals.
To succeed in this data engineering position, you should have strong analytical skills and the ability to combine data from different sources. Data engineer skills also include familiarity with several programming languages. If you are detail-oriented, with excellent organizational skills and experience in this field, we’d like to hear from you!
- Responsible for designing, building, and supporting the components of data warehouse, such as ETL processes, databases, reports, and reporting environments
- Developing and automating ETL processes that involve error and reconciliation handling, utilizing Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
- Creating processes for maintaining or/and capturing metadata
- Identifying, analyzing, and interpreting trends or patterns in complex data sets
- Performing data analysis of key problem areas to assist in root cause analysis. Performing data reconciliations to identify data anomalies
- Conduct complex data analysis and report on results
- Combine raw information from different sources
- Explore ways to enhance data quality and reliability
- Collaborate with data scientists and architects on several projects
- Proven experience as a senior data engineer / senior data, BI developer for 3+ years.
- Proven experience in development and IT lifecycle management.
- Creativity to solve complex problems.
- Ability to pick up new data tools and concepts quickly.
- Hands-on experience with SQL, SSMS and SSIS
- Experience in building and maintaining ETL pipelines.
- Agile / Scrum methodologies.
- Passionate about complex data structures and problem solving
- Confidence: Ability to make informed decisions, take action and deal with conflict in professional and mature manner
- Degree in Computer Science, IT, or similar field.
Bonus points for:
- Experience using AWS/Azure cloud services.
- Databricks ecosystem (E.g. Delta Lake)
- Data engineering certification (e.g IBM Certified Data Engineer) is a plus
- Programming language: Java / C# / Python
- Version control (Git).
- Database Performance tuning and Schema design.
- Work in one of the biggest and strategically important Lithuanian enterprises
- An opportunity to contribute to improvement of corporate activities within dynamic work environment during the period of changes
- Daily professional challenges and an opportunity for self-realization
- Professional development for ambitious and motivated
- An opportunity to travel with company’s trains free of charge in the territory of Lithuania
- An opportunity to work remotely
- Additional health insurance
- Gross salary starting at 2160 to 3320 EUR/month (salary offer depends on candidate‘s professional experience, knowledge and competencies)
The Location: We have offices in Vilnius and Kaunas, though there is a choice to work from home!